So I’ve really been getting into essential oils lately (as you can see from my previous posts lol). I’m all about the natural remedies and essential oils are wonderful concentrated plant based oils! Mother Nature always does it best 😉
I’ve upgraded my regular shea butter and coconut oil daily moisturizer to one with essential oils for all of their restorative benefits.
The oils I use are high quality and certified pure therapeutic grade. Therapeutic grade means the natural & aromatic compounds of the plants are carefully extracted. They don’t contain fillers or artificial ingredients that would dilute their active qualities and are free of contaminants like pesticides or other chemical residues. Therapeutic grade products make sure they harvest only the highest quality of product and they go through rigorous testing to ensure its purity. Here’s a link to the kind I use, and if you’re interested in more info, just shoot me an email to: email@example.com
Here’s the oils I’ve added to my lotion:
- Frankincense – The most precious of the ancient oils. Helps build & maintain a healthy immune system. Promotes cellular health. Reduces the appearance of scars, discolouration and stretch marks. Antinflammatory and a powerful antioxidant.
- Myhrr – Powerful cleansing properties. Soothing to the skin, promotes a smooth, youthful-looking complexion. Promotes emotional balance & well being.
- Geranium – A common ingredient in skin care products. Promotes clear, healthy skin. Helps calm nerves & lessen anxiety.
- Lavender – Widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities. Soothes occasional skin irritations. Helps skin recover quickly and relieves the itch.
- Melaleuca – Renowned for its cleansing and rejuvenating effect on the skin. Promotes healthy immune function. Antifungal/antibacterial properties.
A little goes a long way, and this batch will last you about a month. I’ve found this be super hydrating and restorative for my skin. I’ve been using this mix now for a little over a month, and I can tell my skin is responding well to it. I went through a super flaky, peely and shedding like mad phase that calmed down after time. I also had a lot of other things going on that probably contributed to those symptoms (high stress, insomnia and days of oozy skin). Now after a month of using it, I can feel my skin feeling softer and it’s becoming less flaky with shorter oozing periods!
Healing always comes from the inside out but having a great natural emollient on the skin will also help! Remember, everything you put on the skin gets absorbed into the bloodstream, so make sure your care products are super clean! 😉
DIY Essential Oil Lotion
This mix lasts me about a month
- 1/2 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup organic raw coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw shea butter
- 4 tablespoons organic jojoba oil
- 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- 10 drops myrrh essential oil
- 10 drops geranium essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops melaleuca essential oil
- About 1 oz of Vitamin E oil (this is a natural preservative)
- Glass jar for storing
- Put olive oil, coconut oil & shea butter in a glass bowl then put the bowl in a saucepan with water.
- Heat the stove to medium and mix ingredients together.
- Once mixed, put in the refrigerator until solid.
- With a regular mixer or hand mixer, beat the mixture until it is whipped and fluffy. Then add essential oils and jojoba oil and mix.
- Fill container and store in a cool place. (It’s best to use glass containers because plastic can leach into the moisturizer).
If you try out this mix let me know how you liked it!