To heal from any degenerative disease such as eczema, that has been caused by the accumulation of toxins (the steroidal creams and meds) and nutritional deficiencies, a detoxification must take place first. Detoxification basically means cleansing the blood. It does this mainly by removing the impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph system and skin. Unfortunately when this system is compromised, impurities aren’t properly filtered and every cell in the body is adversely affected.
This healing process takes place in three stages of detoxification: 1. elimination of toxins, 2. breakdown and removal of diseased cells and 3. rebuilding of tissues. Just follow these steps and you will find your body healing from eczema!
1. Elimination of Toxins
This is the discarding of toxins stored throughout the tissues of the body. These are eliminated once a good clean diet provides the minerals and organic nutrients to cells to generate enough energy to carry toxins out of the body via the elimination processes.
Toxins are eliminated through various channels, the normal channels with their signs of elimination are:
- Lungs (breathed out – may manifest as bad breath, coughing)
- Skin (a worsening of the eczema condition)*
- Liver/bowel (dark, foul smelling stools)
- Kidneys (dark, strong smelling urine)
* In eczema, the normal channels of elimination (kidney and liver) are so overtaxed that the body ends up using an alternate avenue of elimination; the skin. Once your diet is improved and the drugs are eliminated, the body will first heal the overtaxed and congested detoxification organs (kidney and liver). This will result in your eczema becoming worse in the beginning stages of your healing process because of the cleansing that takes place in the liver and kidneys. Whatever you do, don’t give up!! A natural, holistic healing of eczema takes patience, remember it’s working from the inside out.
2. Breakdown and Removal of Diseased Cells
Diseased cells that are caused from “toxin abuse” are broken down by the body and removed. This process is mainly carried out by the white blood cells. If any of the raw materials of the cell can be salvaged and reused they are put into circulation; the rest is eliminated from the body. This is an important process to a natural healing of eczema.
3. Rebuilding of Tissues
This stage is all about the body replacing the diseased cells with new healthy ones. The majority of the rebuilding of the tissues take place after the body is well on its way to being “detoxified” and “disease tissue” free. Prior to this final major rebuilding phase, the body will replace diseased tissues one generation at a time, each generation of cells will be a little healthier than its predecessors, because a cell can only be as healthy, as its environment is detoxified. It’s important to know that there isn’t an instant relief in natural healing. This holistic healing of eczema takes time, but it’s well worth the time and effort!
You’ve got to realize that the body heals in stages on a priority basis, meaning that the most important parts of the body get the healing attention before the less vital tissues. Healing the internal organs will first take place before the skin fully heals. In fact, the skin is the last organ the body will work on to heal. Expect the intestinal tract, the endocrine gland, the liver and kidneys to go through a healing and repair process before the skin does. This is why you shouldn’t be alarmed when you experience that your skin starts look a lot worse at the beginning stages of this process. Your body is detoxifying and literally pushing these toxins through your skin. The more medical drugs, herbal formulas etc you’ve taken to suppress your symptoms of eczema, the longer it will take to heal your damaged skin.
In my situation, my eczema flared up really badly for a good four months, somewhat calmed down then flared up again months later! It was all over at first, then started to taper off to just my legs and feet. That is because the healing process isn’t only an inside (first) outside (last) healing, but once the skin starts to heal its from the top of your body to the bottom of your body (heals through your extremities; hands and feet last). I would experience super clear, smooth facial skin, and the skin on my torso all the while my feet were still oozing lymph fluid and swollen. I’m currently two and a half years in, and I now feel that I’m nearing the end of this process. I had to remember that the toxins I had built up were 26 years of medical drugs, and 6 months of intensive chemo, and that it was going to take some time to eliminate them all. I want to encourage you to stay the course of this healing process no matter how insane your skin looks, just know that you are doing the best possible thing for your body to get it back on the right track to amazing health! You don’t want to resort to the creams and pills when your skin starts to get a little scary because that would cancel out all the hard work you’ve done. Remember, you’re a warrior… you can do this!!!
Reactivation/retracing (the process of healing):
In order for the body to deal with or heal a part of the body, it must bring it into priority or reactivate it. This means that the body is bringing to the surface or focusing on a specific gland, organ, system or tissue of the body for cleansing/rebuilding activity. This gland, organ, system or tissue of the body has been “on hold” from healing activity due to lack of nutrients, emotional stress, other priorities, etc.
When a diseased or previously injured area of the body is brought back into focus or reactivated for healing, the symptoms that went with that particular stress will again manifest themselves to some degree. Remember that the symptoms the body manifested with the original disease or injury were an attempt at healing. This, of course, was somehow blocked with drugs or stress of some kind; thus the symptoms and healing were put “on hold”. Now with reactivation, the same healing symptoms will once again manifest themselves. Here’s an example…. every time I stopped using the steroid creams after my eczema patches “cleared up” my skin started to break right back out again. It broke out because it was starting to go through the healing process and I just suppressed it by slathering on the same cream to “clear it up” again, so the healing process was put “on hold”.
What can you do to aid your body during detoxification?
Your body needs all the energy it can take to heal, so be easy on yourself and conserve your energy! Remember that the symptoms you’re feeling are not the enemy, but they are your body’s attempt to defeat the enemy and get back to great health!
- Avoid exerting intense physical energy.
- Mild exercise is helpful, if the body dictates.
- Take in little amounts of food – let your appetite dictate specific foods and amounts, if anything at all is desired.
- Drink at minimum, 8 glasses of filtered water… more is even better!!
- Avoid toxic substances i.e. caffeine, alcohol, highy acidic foods etc.
- Keep the body in an alkalinized state (eat lots of nutrient dense foods).
- Take healing whole food supplements, probiotics and digestive enzymes.
- Mental activity should be kept at a minimum and avoid emotional stress.
- Most importantly, make sure to get lots of rest!
Other ways to help with your detox:
- Dry body brush! – Before showering, dry brush your body from head-to-toe, using long strides toward the heart. This activates the lymphatic system, stimulates blood circulation, and enhances toxin elimination through our body’s largest organ — the skin!
- Jump! – Rebounding is great for stimulating the lymphatic system and increasing circulation. Small, portable trampolines are a quick and easy way to build jumping into your daily routine. Don’t have a rebounder? Do some jumping jacks!
- Oil Pulling! – Oil pulling comes from Ayurvedic traditional medicine and it’s basically pulling out the toxins and bacteria from your mouth and draining out the lymphatic system of toxins! This is something that I do every other day, and sometimes everyday. What you do is first thing in the morning (I do this after i’ve had my 32 oz of water), you want to take a spoonful of extra virgin organic coconut oil and swish it vigorously around your mouth for 15-20 minutes as if you were swishing mouthwash. Make sure to NOT SWALLOW, if this happens you’re pretty much swallowing the toxins that you’re trying to get rid of… no bueno! Once you’re done swishing you should spit it out in a trash bin (I wouldn’t recommend spitting it down the drain because it could solidify and clog up). Then you should take a tongue scraper and go to work! It’s amazing how the oil will stick to all the impurities in your mouth and become thick and white, sometimes yellow. rinse out your mouth with water and brush your teeth etc. You may experience some detox symptoms, but don’t give up, your body is healing and just trust that it knows what it’s doing! When I started, my face broke out badly, with oozy spots of lymph fluid. It was uncomfortable, but it oozed, crusted, then flaked off, and this was in a matter of days. Once all that was finished my facial skin was baby soft and I haven’t experienced facial flares like that ever again! Oil pulling also whitens teeth, freshens your breath, alleviates gum diseases such as gingivitis, is great for mouth sores and it’s a great remedy if you have a headache!
- Sweat! – Although sweating can make people with eczema super itchy, is crucial for expelling toxins. Although I haven’t tried it, I’ve heard about using an infrared sauna would help in assisting the removal of heavy metal toxins that can be stored in the fat tissues.