Here it is finally, my summer 2016 healing update! I guess being that today is the first day of fall, it’s better that I get it in today, better now than never! It’s been a little while since I’ve given an update with pictures and such, so here it is!
🍉🍉🍉Try out this super hydrating, refreshing drink!🍉🍉🍉
Fill up your blender with…
- fresh watermelon
- add a handful of fresh mint (Great herb for the digestion)
- the juice from 1 lime (balances the ph in the body with its high alkaline ash residue)
- and about a 2×2″ or 3×3″ square of fresh aloe (soaking it in water for like 20 min or so takes down the bitterness)***
- add a few cubes of ice…
Blend and enjoy! 😋😋😋
***Aloe is great for the skin, it helps support the immune system and helps to regulate your digestion! It also has antioxidant and antibacterial properties!
This pic was from day two of “watermelon island”. It’s basically when you do a mono meal of a fruit for an extended amount of days (a fruit fast), I did two days on “watermelon island”…watermelon goodness allll day long! It’s a great way to cleanse the body because fruits are super hydrating, and very easy on the digestion. They clean out the system because of its water content and fiber. You can do a banana (“banana island”) fast, grape fast etc. Fasting with easily digestible fruit like watermelon (digests in like 30 min or less) allows your body to only use a little bit of energy on digesting and the rest on healing the body! Just doing the 2 days alone gave me more hydrated, less itchy and red skin! For even deeper cleansing I could’ve gone 3-5 days or even a week or more! Check out this Dr.Morse video on Fasting with Fruit! Also check out the ebook The Fruit Cure by http://www.DeHappy5.com on healing eczema with a raw food diet!
October was thankfully a pretty great month for me! It had been a full month since I had been in Florida and my body had finally acclimated to my new environment. It took me a minute for my body to calm down from the stress that I was experiencing from the month before. Upon coming to Florida from New York, I was packing, getting my things together trying to not stress out on the day to day chores and such and my skin was already in a state, so of course it just started to get worse. When I got to Florida on the first of September, I was going through crazy insomnia, on and off oozing, chills and feverish symptoms. It wasn’t until the end of September that I started to feel a lot better. My sleep slowly started to improve, the skin that I was shedding (MASSIVE amounts at that) was becoming less and less and my oozing was calming down. I was experiencing oozing on my legs so badly that I was sticking to my sheets 😦
This month is a milestone for me, 3 years free from the chains of topical steroid addiction!
I’m not sure exactly what day I started giving up the medications and enduring the withdrawal process, but it was definitely sometime in March of 2012 (I have 26 years steroid use, topical and injections plus chemo in 08′ for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma). When I first started, I had no desire to document, I didn’t want to even see myself in the mirror much less have actual photos of the hell I was experiencing. In the end I’m glad that I started taking photos, doing hard core research on detoxification/holistic healing, and putting my findings on this site :).
At my current state I’m doing REALLY well!!!
- Only areas still working on restoring are my feet.
- No oozing on my feet (the oozing on the rest of my body ended a LONG time ago).
- My sleep can still be random. It’s not that my feet are insanely itchy, it’s more so that I’m just always thinking!! Mainly about cool things to do on this site lol. Most nights I fall right to sleep for a few hrs then I’m awake for a few, (slightly itchy sometimes) then back again to sleep. I do find relief when I drink my golden turmeric milk or if I take some extra proteolytic enzymes. These remedies help to take down the inflammation and itching when I go to bed. It would be amazing to sleep through the night with no interruptions. Soon enough though, soon enough 😉
- The huge flaking I was having on my feet are down to light, thin flakes and minimal at that! The redness and inflammation is down significantly as well! I can stand for longer periods of time without any swelling or pain!
- The blistered sore on the bottom of my left foot is healing nicely, due to this great antioxidant micro algae lotion I’ve been using, not only on the blister but all over my feet. I have two clients whom I’ve been coaching who have been using the lotion and finding awesome relief in it as well!… A blog post on that soon to come 🙂
- As long as this wonderful healing keeps up, I have no doubt that by the end of the month (hopefully even sooner) I’ll be out and about, without pain from wearing socks and shoes! Whooo hooooo!
Things that I’ve been doing that have been helping my healing along…
- REBOUNDING – Since my feet have been getting better and better, I’ve made it up to bouncing for 20 minutes on my rebounder! I just turn on some great dance music, and jump away! I’ve even been able to work up a good sweat which is great for getting some of those toxins out. Doing this fun exercise will stimulate the lymph system and get the blood circulation going which is very important to promote healing.
- MICRO ALGAE LOTION – The antioxidant lotion that I mentioned above has been a game changer! It goes on silky smooth and instantly locks in the moisture. It doesn’t leave me itchy once I put it on like how coconut oil sometimes does… it’s actually very soothing and cooling. It has even been minimizing the thickness on my feet, and I know that will take a while to smooth out. This lotion is also known to help with the discolouration, so I’ll be looking forward to continually use it to help that along. Here are just some of the healing ingredients in this lotion: Organic Micro algae, organic aloe vera water, organic virgin coconut oil, jojoba oil, Beta Glucan, neem oil, rosemary oil & lemon peel oil. If you are interested in this lotion, and want to know more, just send me an email at email@example.com !
- KEEPING UP WITH PLANT BASED DIET & WHOLE FOOD SUPPLEMENTS – I’ve been eating vegan for months now, about since October and I know this is the diet for me. I have so much more energy when I get my nourishing fruit smoothies in every morning and my nutient dense green “dranks” at night! Like I mentioned above, the golden turmeric milk has been awesome at bringing down the inflammation in my skin, and has been a great natural sleep aid. I love coming up with new recipes and have been learning so much about food and how it can be healing for the body, there’s no way I’ll be going back to the SAD diet (Standard American Diet). The supplements I’ve been taking have kept my digestion working at an optimal level, and have been so nourishing at promoting healing for my body.
click to enlarge
It’s been a long journey with many ups and downs. Months of being homebound at times, and months of living a pretty normal life. It can only get better and better from here on out! I’m so thankful for this whole experience because it has opened my eyes up to so much and has shown me that my body is capable at transforming itself and that healing from this awful disease is possible! Thanks for reading and allowing me to share this milestone with you all!
Stay strong eczema warriors! Restoration is on the horizon, just make sure you’re listening to your body and giving it all the wonderful things it needs to heal ❤
I had the wonderful pleasure of being a guest on my good friend Abby’s Eczema Podcast!
She is a registered Holistic Nutritionist and she is doing amazing work on her website, Prime Physique Nutrition. Abby interviews people in the field of healthy living who offer information, advice, personal accounts on eczema and natural alternative ways for healing. I had the great opportunity of sharing my journey with her on her most recent podcast.
This podcast was filmed in December 2014, and the only updates that I have since then is that my diet has transitioned to a completely plant based vegan diet, I’ve implemented some rebounding exercises to help with blood circulation & stimulating the lymph system and that the state of my feet are doing much better than when this was shot a few months ago!
I had such a great time being interviewed and sharing what I’ve learned with Abby. She’s such an inspiration in how she has battled through her eczema to come out on the other side of it all and become a Holistic Nutritionist to help others! I’m thankful for having this experience, and being able to connect with such an wonderful person. 🙂
I had this ridiculously annoying itchiness going on all around my mouth for most of October. I noticed the irritation early on as you can see in the first photo (Oct 8th). It was just red and inflamed, and slowly started to calm down and become super dry. I was applying coconut oil on it multiple times a day (as well as shea butter) just to ease up the dryness, but it’s like that area just kept drinking it up as quickly as I would apply it. I thought that I would try a remedy I had done in the past… mixing organic ground turmeric powder with organic virgin coconut oil. It makes this bright orangey yellow paste and it can be used on dry, scaly skin. I also used it in the corners of my mouth because I was experiencing cracking as well. I used this mixture before a few years ago on oozy spots on my foot, but it was too intense for these areas, I’ve learned to keep those open, oozy areas dry so they can heal and scab over… pretty much like “moisture withdrawal” which I’ve found to help with letting the body heal on its own. This mixture is so amazing at healing, the dryness and flaking was gone within a week! Turmeric and coconut oil are such potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial foods, that they can heal up any skin issue very quickly! Along with using this paste I would take a break and use just coconut oil. The mixture did tingle a little bit once I applied it, but subsided rather quickly. I think it was because the turmeric has such powerful healing properties, and because there were fine cuts underneath the flakes. I’m experiencing such smoothness around my mouth now, I know I will use this remedy in the future! Along with doing this mixture, I was regularly oil pulling with the organic virgin coconut oil, which I find really helps to keep the skin on my face pretty clear and flake free. **Cool facts: Turmeric is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine and you can find turmeric face mask remedies to heal acne, eczema, rosacea and to help aid in skin rejuvenation!
I had posted this blog entry into the itsan.org forums and a few people had tried it out and found awesome results!! This just shows how powerful healing with food can be!
Here are their accounts….
Hi Jen, I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been using turmeric topically on my feet after reading your blog post and wanted to give a big thank you! The coconut oil wasn’t moisturising enough so I’m melting it into cocoa butter instead and I’m not healed of course but my feet are finally seeing improvement after 8 months! I’m now seeing turmeric used as body scrub, face masks and all sorts and I’m looking forward to trying it out elsewhere. I’ve been clear mostly for 5 months now.
Once again Jen, thanks so much!
Hey Jen – Your tip is great! The backs of my knees were like scary swiss cheese – when you tear open not-yet-healed skin so you have sores within sores, so to speak. I went one up on your mix and added manuka honey (good for wounds, also highly antibacterial action) to the turmeric & coconut oil paste. Slathered it on last thing at night, covered with a non-sticky gauze for wounds, wrapped it all with elastic crepe bandage and then used micropore tape to make sure the bandage didn’t shift while sleeping.
2 nights of this mix and the sores are now healed up and flaking. Skin is pink underneath but not open wounds and not even very raw, which is great for only 2 nights worth of the healing mix….I’d say this is as fast as I’d have gotten with Elomet, which is pretty amazing! (Of course, I probably should have tried the tight wrapping much earlier to avoid scratching at night, so that’s some of it too.)
Thanks Jen, this is working for me too.
The skin between my fingers was broken and crusty and I had been putting cotton wool balls or cloth between my fingers to keep them apart.
I mixed turmeric with sesame oil, just because it’s an oil I had at hand. I reckon any oil would work. Smeared this on the webbing between my fingers once a day and in two days the skin is no longer broken.
I haven’t needed the cotton wool balls or cloths in the past couple of days. Yeah!