Yessss! Once again Dr.Greger is droppin gems! We cannot be protein deficient, in fact most people eat an excess of protein everyday! An over excess of protein does more harm than good to our bodies, especially if we’re getting it from animal sources.
To figure out how many grams you should be getting, take your weight x 4 and divide it by 10. So for me 130 x 4 / 10 gives me = 52 grams, and I can even get away with ten grams less than that amount or even less than that! I eat a vegan diet and I hit that amount and sometimes more on a daily basis! I like to keep my macro levels to where I’m hitting 80% of calories coming from carbs, 10% of calories from protein & 10% from fat. I’ve found eating high carb low fat vegan to be the healthiest and most balanced way to live. My digestion is top notch, my skin benefits greatly (less itchy & dry, more hydrated from the inside out, less red, less inflammation, wounds heal faster & better rest at night!) and I feel lighter and more energetic throughout the day (*note to self, need to make a blog post on this soon! 😜). Eating lots of fruits gives me all the carbs and energy I need (remember our bodies run on sugar 😉 the sugar in fruits are not the enemy!)
- Check out Dr.Greger’s article by clicking the link: The Great Protein Fiasco and make sure to subscribe to his YouTube channel nutritionfacts.org
- More info on protein HERE
- Simple Steps to Going on a Plant Based Diet
- Here’s an example of my meals in the link below. This is an older post, and as I mentioned my diet has changed more to an 80/10/10 style (and currently I’m eating raw vegan). In this post I got waaaaay too much protein, and with my macro breakdown you can see exactly the sources I got it from…What I Eat in a Day – Vegan
Feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions or need advice on transitioning to a plant based diet, or if you need advice in general on naturally healing eczema! email@example.com
🍉🍉🍉Try out this super hydrating, refreshing drink!🍉🍉🍉
Fill up your blender with…
- fresh watermelon
- add a handful of fresh mint (Great herb for the digestion)
- the juice from 1 lime (balances the ph in the body with its high alkaline ash residue)
- and about a 2×2″ or 3×3″ square of fresh aloe (soaking it in water for like 20 min or so takes down the bitterness)***
- add a few cubes of ice…
Blend and enjoy! 😋😋😋
***Aloe is great for the skin, it helps support the immune system and helps to regulate your digestion! It also has antioxidant and antibacterial properties!
This pic was from day two of “watermelon island”. It’s basically when you do a mono meal of a fruit for an extended amount of days (a fruit fast), I did two days on “watermelon island”…watermelon goodness allll day long! It’s a great way to cleanse the body because fruits are super hydrating, and very easy on the digestion. They clean out the system because of its water content and fiber. You can do a banana (“banana island”) fast, grape fast etc. Fasting with easily digestible fruit like watermelon (digests in like 30 min or less) allows your body to only use a little bit of energy on digesting and the rest on healing the body! Just doing the 2 days alone gave me more hydrated, less itchy and red skin! For even deeper cleansing I could’ve gone 3-5 days or even a week or more! Check out this Dr.Morse video on Fasting with Fruit! Also check out the ebook The Fruit Cure by http://www.DeHappy5.com on healing eczema with a raw food diet!
In his article, “Skin Health, Eczema, and Preventative Strategies”, James Barker, N.D. sums up the importance of protecting the GI integrity for eczema patients by saying: “If the eyes and the skin are the portal through which we may observe the body’s internal health, the gut then is the door through which a majority of disease initiates its entrance into the body… It goes without saying that… the first area of treatment then for the patient displaying eczema should be the gastrointestinal lining, without a doubt” (p. 58).
Having an optimally functioning gut is key to healing one’s eczema as well as countless other diseases. We must heal from the inside out, and the integrity of the gut is the first line of defense in repairing the skin of eczema. The gut holds 80% of the body’s immunity! When the detoxification systems aren’t eliminating properly (gut, kidneys, liver) then the toxic waste needs to go somewhere, and the skin is the organ it decides to eliminate on. Putting the focus on healing internally with diet, and probiotic rich foods and supplements will put the body back in balance and add good bacteria into the body.
The best foods to put into the body to repopulate the good gut bacteria are plant based foods. These foods are highly alkaline, fiber rich and come with an array of various vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Drinking celery juice first thing in the morning is another great gut healing remedy one can do. Check out this very informative video on why its best to fill up on all kinds of plant based foods in order to heal the gut which will in turn heal your skin as well as other health issues.
Seven signs you should be taking a probiotic
- Antibiotics – If you’ve taken antibiotics in the past year or even five years and you haven’t re-cultured your good bacteria you should look into taking a probiotic. Birth control and anti-inflammatory drugs like NSAID’s (over the counter pain meds like Tylenol, Ibuprofen etc) will also destroy the gut.
- Food Poisoning – This is a shift in the equilibrium of the gut, meaning that you have more bad bacteria than good. When this happens you will definitely want to re-populate the gut with good bacteria.
- Digestive Disturbances – Such as bloating, excessive gas, constipation, diarrhea etc. If this is occurring, you will want to look into supplementing with a probiotic.
- Skin Conditions – Once you start to fix what’s going on in the inside of the body, the outside will reflect more harmony and balance of your health.
- Mood Disorders – If you are having mood issues, such as depression, there’s a good chance that a good probiotic will help bounce up the seratonin levels. 95% of the seratonin is in the body is actually made in the gut and it’s the “happy molecule” in the brain. Once you start fixing your gut, you will notice that your mood will start to enhance!
- Weak Immunity – If you’re the type of person that gets sick two to three times a year and you’re wondering why, there’s a good chance that over populated bad bacteria is holding you back and you should look into considering a probiotic.
- Yeast Overgrowth – If you’re dealing with any type of yeast infection or yeast overgrowth on the inside, rebalancing the good gut bacteria will definitely help you.
For more info on the whole food based probiotics I use, check out this link HERE and shoot me an email for more information and how to order at firstname.lastname@example.org! I also do health coaching with eczema sufferers where I send them a health questionnaire to get to know them better and offer tips, diet advice and natural remedies. ☺️
I had been reading a little bit about fasting and specifically water fasting and wanted to give a go. I’m always looking into natural remedies that I can try out, and fasting is one of the best ways to give our bodies a break and let it heal on its own. Just days before my 3 day fast, I was an oozy mess. My legs were sticking to my sheets (from the ooze coming out and drying on the sheets) and I was having this uncomfortable, achy, heavy pain in both of my legs and feet. That odd throbbing pain seems to happen when the skin is cracked, open and oozing. My skin also itched and flaked a decent amount the night before the first day of the 3 day fast, and shed even more the morning of.
Before I go into my experience, let me give you some info on why in the world someone would want to go days without food, only consuming water, and how to do it safely.
Continue reading “My experience with a 3 & 5 Day Water Fast!”
So many times I will think about this “journey” that I’m on of healing. It’s been a loooong rough road and I still can’t believe that next month I will be 4 years topical steroid free! There have been many ups and downs. Many depressing times where I thought I had zero strength left in me to continue, then I realized I truly had no choice… it was either go back on the poisonous medication or keep on pushing, and I kept on pushing. I wiped my tears, calmed myself down, prayed and kept on going. My faith, and strength has been tested so many times I can’t even begin to count. Through all of the emotional and physical pain that I’ve endured, I would honestly not take it back. This journey that I’m on has changed me for the better. Just as the message says, I’ve felt that I’ve now become the person that I was always supposed to be in the first place. I have felt that this experience has broken me down so much that I’ve only had to understand myself in this broken state, the true person that I am. I feel that I’m now more empathetic to others pain and suffering, I feel so deeply now than I ever have before. I feel that I’ve found a purpose in all of this pain, and it’s to help others in any way that I can. To be of service is truly our only jobs on this planet and I feel that using my experience; the good the bad and the ugly, to inspire, help and comfort others is what it’s all about.
The journey may be a rough one to endure, but always remember that “the blessing is in the breaking”… when you’ve been broken down so much you finally realize who you are truly supposed to be and what the breaking is all about… bringing you to your highest self, vulnerable and ready to be built back up to a better you. Don’t give up, in your weakest hours is when your faith and strength are truly tested and when you need to hold on even tighter. In these moments I give thanks to the Most High. I praise God all throughout the day, when I’m having a great day and when I’m crying out in pain with thoughts of crawling into a deep hole to never return. He always listens, He always comforts and heals. Never give up on your faith… the journey may take longer than you’ve expected, but it WILL end, it may not be in your time, but in God’s time. Just know that everything has it’s purpose and there is a reason and season for everything. Trust in your body’s natural ability to heal, just give it all of the love, rest and nutrients it needs to heal and it will do all the work. Always tell yourself how much you love yourself, no matter what state your skin is in, kiss your skin, talk to your body calmly and sweetly with positive healing words. Your thoughts will influence your healing just as much as what you put into your body and on your body. 🙂
Many Blessings Warriors ❤
I leave you with an inspirational tune from Hillsong United
Ugh eating a vegan diet is sooooo hard! Hehehe, just joking! 🙂 This lil blog update is to show what I eat in a day, all vegan, all delicious! Vegan is basically no animal products (meat, eggs and by products like dairy) and all the abundant plant based foods you can eat!
check out my instagram, username: jlh827 for lots of vegan inspiration pics!
Continue reading “What I Eat in a Day – Vegan!”
Check out my good friend Melissa’s new YouTube channel. She is a fellow TSW warrior and she wants to share great info on healing from eczema as well as share her journey.
You can also look at her new site where she gives many tips on healing from eczema: topeczematreatments.com
Make sure to show her some love! ❤